Saturday, April 28, 2007

Storage Solutions

I’m pretty obsessive about my data. I have the negativess from my first wedding in 1998 still in storage. The idea of losing a single image scares the pants off of me.
 
Because of these things I have been a religious person for back ups in multiple places and media. The size of my archive is getting insane though. I am having to make a big change in how I handle things.
 
I have two of these
Fantom G-Force MegaDisk
s on the way. Very cool desktop RAID solution. Each is 1 Terabyte configured in a redundant RAID 1 so each one has a duplicate of itself internally on a second disk.
 
The first will hold old archived projects and the second will keep up with my present workflow.
 
21FDJAH3D3L
Along with these I will continue to do my regular DVD backups as well. Doing all this makes certain I am in good shape for the long run.
 
Because I’m uptight, I’m working on a 4th location for stored data. (yes, forth, the third is my online server for the lab) Soon I will be expanding my online server space to incorporate a full backup of all my files on a secure server in another part of the country.
 
Yes, I probably need therapy, but I don’t ever want to tell a client or myself I can’t print something because the file is gone.
 
(This year I started giving my wedding clients DVDs of the finished images this year as another level of protection.)